This flavorful deli meat is a classic favorite, but what food goes well with pastrami?
If you’re looking for new ways to enjoy this traditional sandwich staple, we’ve got five delicious combinations that are sure to please.
From sandwiches and salads to quesadillas and burritos, these recipes will take your taste buds on an exciting journey. Read on to find out more!
Table of Contents
What Food Groups Compliment Pastrami?
Pastrami is a delicious deli meat that makes any sandwich extraordinary! To really elevate your pastrami experience, there are some food groups to consider pairing it with.
- Bread: Pastrami pairs perfectly on a classic rye or sourdough bread for a traditional sandwich. If you’re feeling adventurous, try wrapping it in naan or flatbread for an interesting twist.
- Cheese: Cheddar and Swiss cheese bring out the flavor of pastrami nicely. For something different, sprinkle feta on top of your sandwich for an added salty bite.
- Vegetables: The crunchy texture of lettuce and tomato brings contrast to the softness of pastrami while also adding freshness and flavor. Pickles, cucumbers, onions and peppers all work great too!
- Condiments: Mustard is the perfect accompaniment to this savory meat – but why not get creative? Try mayonnaise-based dressings like Thousand Island or remoulade sauce as well!
Examples of Food Pairings For Pastrami
What Wine Goes Well With Pastrami?
If you’re looking for a delicious pairing to accompany your pastrami, consider exploring the wonderful world of wine!
A classic Cabernet Sauvignon or Zinfandel can make an excellent accompaniment to this savory sandwich. The robustness of these wines will complement the flavors of the beef and spices in your pastrami.
For a lighter option, try a Pinot Noir which offers bright fruit notes that are sure to bring out all the delicious nuances of this dish. Whichever bottle you choose, it’s sure to be an unforgettable culinary experience!
What Herbs and Spices Should You Use With Pastrami?
When it comes to pastrami, a few herbs and spices can really make all the difference in elevating this classic deli sandwich. To start, garlic is a must — its pungent flavor adds an extra layer of complexity that pairs perfectly with the smoky saltiness of pastrami. You can also add other potent herbs like:
- Coriander, which has a warm citrusy flavor
- Mustard seed , for added spiciness
- Fennel seed , for a hint of anise-like sweetness
For something sweet to balance out the savory flavors, consider adding some brown sugar or honey. Lastly, don’t forget about black pepper! It’s always great on sandwiches and will give your pastrami even more depth. With these ingredients in hand, you’re ready to take your sandwich game to new heights!
Should You Add More Pastrami To Your Diet?
Adding more pastrami to your diet can be a great way to enjoy some delicious and nutritious meals! Not only is pastrami rich in flavor, but it’s also high in protein and low in fat.
It’s an excellent source of vitamins B-12 and B-6, as well as minerals such as magnesium, phosphorus, selenium, zinc and iron. And it contains healthy amounts of omega 3 fatty acids which are beneficial for brain development and heart health.
Eating pastrami regularly can help you maintain healthy cholesterol levels, improve your digestive system function, and even boost your immune system. Plus its smoky taste adds a unique flavor to any dish.
You can have it with eggs for breakfast or simply add it to sandwiches or salads for lunch or dinner – the possibilities are endless!
So What Goes Well With Pastrami?
In conclusion, there are many accompaniments that pair wonderfully with pastrami. Whether you choose to add in a bit of sauerkraut for a classic taste, some pickles for a crunchy bite, or even some coleslaw or spicy mustard for an extra kick of flavor – it’s up to you! Each addition can bring something new and interesting to the plate.
No matter what combination you choose, there’s no doubt that your pastrami dish will be deliciously elevated. With so many options available at our fingertips, why not make the most of this timeless sandwich?