It’s a classic Hanukkah staple, but what goes best with latkes? Let’s explore the options and find out how to perfectly pair your potato pancakes this holiday season.
From applesauce to sour cream, there are many flavor combinations that can be used to enhance your latke experience. Whether you’re looking for something sweet or savory, we’ll provide you with the perfect pairing ideas so that you can enjoy the traditional flavors of Hanukkah in style.
Table of Contents
What Food Groups Compliment Latkes?Latkes are a traditional Hanukkah dish that combine grated potatoes with eggs, onions, and matzo meal.
These potato pancakes are an incredibly versatile side dish or main course that can be served in many different ways!
Here are some food groups to consider when serving Latkes:
- Deli Meats – Salami, pastrami, corned beef all pair nicely with latkes.
- Cheeses – Cream Cheese, Farmers Cheese and more offer a creamy contrast to the crunchy texture of the latke.
- Vegetables – Roasted vegetables like eggplant, bell peppers or zucchini have great flavour without overpowering the latke.
- Fruits – Applesauce is a classic accompaniment for Latkes but consider adding other fruits such as poached pears or cranberries for added sweetness.
Examples of Food Pairings For Latkes1. Applesauce 2. Sour Cream 3. Horseradish 4. Smoked Salmon 5. Braised Cabbage 6. Roasted Beets 7. Beet-Horseradish Salsa 8. Dill Sauce 9. Caviar 10. Pickled Herring
What Wine Goes Well With Latkes?Are you in search of a delicious wine to pair with your latkes? Whether you’re hosting a Chanukah celebration or looking for something special to accompany your holiday meal, there are some excellent choices that will bring out the flavors of this beloved dish. To start, dry white wines such as Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Grigio work harmoniously with the potato pancakes’ crisp texture and savory flavor profile. For those who prefer red, light-bodied varieties like Beaujolais or Gamay offer an ideal balance between earthy richness and bright acidity. Finally, sparkling wines like Prosecco or Cava can add a festive sparkle to any occasion! No matter what type of wine you choose, it is sure to be perfectly complemented by these famous fried treats!
What Herbs and Spices Should You Use With Latkes?Latkes are a delicious traditional Hanukkah food that can be enjoyed year-round. To make the perfect latke, you must have the right combination of herbs and spices. Some great options to enhance flavor include:
- Garlic powder – this mild seasoning adds amazing aroma and flavor to your latkes.
- Onion powder – an essential spice for any savory dish! It will give your latke a unique depth of flavor.
- Paprika – add some color and smoky taste by sprinkling paprika over your latkes before serving.
Should You Add More Latkes To Your Diet?
Yes! Latkes are a delicious and healthy option for adding more variety to your diet. They are incredibly versatile, so you can find ways to enjoy them no matter what dietary restrictions you may have. Not only do latkes contain plenty of protein and fiber, but they also provide essential vitamins and minerals like Vitamin B6, potassium, magnesium, iron and phosphorus. Plus, the combination of potatoes with other vegetables or cheese makes them an even healthier choice. And if you’re looking for a gluten-free version of this classic dish – there is one available too! So why not add more latkes to your diet today?