Table of Contents
What Goes Well With Pesto?
As someone who loves cooking, I am always on the lookout for new and interesting flavor combinations. One of my favorites is pesto, which is a sauce made from fresh basil, garlic, pine nuts, Parmesan cheese, and olive oil.
But what goes well with pesto?
In this article, I will explore some of the best food pairings for this delicious sauce – and hopefully give you some new ideas for the best things to pair with pesto!
What is the Best Pairing for Pesto?
Fruit and Vegetables
Pesto is a versatile sauce that goes well with a variety of fruits and vegetables. Some of my favorites include tomatoes, avocados, and bell peppers. You can use pesto as a dip for sliced veggies, or toss it with pasta and roasted vegetables for a delicious and healthy meal.
Pesto is also delicious when paired with grilled fruit, such as peaches or pineapple.
Herbs, Nuts, and Dairy
Pesto is traditionally made with pine nuts, but other nuts, such as almonds and walnuts, can also be used. Additionally, pesto is a great way to use up fresh herbs, such as cilantro, mint, or parsley. Pesto is often served with cheese, such as Parmesan, but other types of cheese, such as feta or goat cheese, can also be used.
Meat and Protein
Pesto is a delicious way to add flavor to grilled or roasted meats, such as chicken or pork. You can also toss pesto with cooked beans or lentils for a protein-packed meal. Pesto is also delicious when used as a marinade for shrimp or fish.
Yes, you read that right! Pesto can also be used in dessert recipes. Try using pesto as a topping for ice cream, or mix it with melted chocolate for a unique and delicious chocolate sauce. You can also try using pesto in place of traditional basil in a fruit salad.
What is the Best Combination with Pesto?
Pesto is traditionally served with pasta, but it can also be used as a topping for grilled bread or roasted potatoes.
You can also toss pesto with quinoa or rice for a flavorful and satisfying side dish.
Here are a few food combination ideas for pesto:
- Toss pesto with pasta and roasted vegetables for a delicious and healthy meal.
- Use pesto as a marinade for grilled shrimp or chicken.
- Spread pesto on grilled bread and top with sliced tomatoes and mozzarella cheese for a pesto panini.
- Mix pesto with melted chocolate for a unique and delicious chocolate sauce.
- Toss cooked quinoa or rice with pesto for a flavorful and satisfying side dish.
- Spread pesto on a sandwich or wrap with turkey, lettuce, and tomato for a tasty lunch.
- Use pesto as a topping for ice cream or frozen yogurt for a refreshing dessert.
- Mix pesto with mayonnaise or cream cheese for a delicious dip or spread.
- Toss pesto with roasted potatoes and green beans for a simple and satisfying one-pan meal.
Is Frozen Pesto Bad For You?
Frozen pesto can be a convenient way to enjoy this sauce year-round, but it is important to check the ingredient list before purchasing. Look for pesto that is made with high-quality ingredients, such as fresh basil, olive oil, and Parmesan cheese.
Avoid frozen pesto that contains preservatives or artificial flavors.
Is Pesto Good For You?
Pesto is a healthy and flavorful option when made with high-quality ingredients. It is a good source of healthy fats from the olive oil and nuts, as well as vitamins and minerals from the fresh basil and Parmesan cheese.
Just be mindful of the portion size, as pesto can be high in calories.
What is the Best Way to Store Pesto?
Fresh pesto should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will keep for up to a week, but it is best to use it within a few days for the best flavor and texture.
You can also freeze pesto for longer storage. To do so, place the pesto in an airtight container or a plastic freezer bag, and squeeze out any excess air before sealing. Frozen pesto will keep for up to six months.
Is it Better to Eat Pesto Cooked?
Pesto can be enjoyed both cooked and raw. If you are using it in a cooked dish, such as pasta or soup, you can add the pesto towards the end of the cooking time to preserve its fresh flavor.
If you are using pesto as a topping for grilled bread or roasted vegetables, it is best to add it after the dish has been cooked, as the heat from the grill or oven can cause the pesto to lose its flavor.
Can You Eat Pesto Cold?
Yes, pesto can be enjoyed cold. In fact, it is often served as a topping for cold dishes, such as pasta salad or grilled chicken. You can also use pesto as a dip for sliced veggies or crackers, or spread it on a sandwich for a delicious and flavorful lunch.
Why You Need to Add More Pesto to Your Diet
Pesto is a delicious and versatile sauce that can add flavor to a variety of dishes. It is made with fresh ingredients, such as basil and Parmesan cheese, and is a good source of healthy fats from the olive oil and nuts. Additionally, pesto is easy to make at home, so you can control the quality of the ingredients and the amount of salt and other seasonings.
What Are The Nutritious Values of Pesto?
Pesto is a sauce made from fresh basil, garlic, pine nuts, Parmesan cheese, and olive oil. These ingredients combine to make pesto a nutritious addition to your diet.
- Fresh basil is a good source of vitamin K, which is important for blood clotting and bone health. It also contains small amounts of other vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium, and iron.
- The pine nuts and Parmesan cheese used in pesto provide a good source of protein and calcium. The pine nuts also contain healthy fats, including monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats.
- Olive oil is the main source of fat in pesto, and it is a good source of monounsaturated fats. These fats are known for their heart-healthy benefits, such as reducing inflammation and lowering bad cholesterol levels.
Overall, pesto is a nutritious sauce that can add flavor and nutrients to your dishes.
However, it is important to enjoy it in moderation, as it can be high in calories.
So What Food Goes Best With Pesto?
In conclusion, pesto goes well with a variety of fruits and vegetables, herbs and nuts, meats and proteins, and even desserts. It can be enjoyed both cooked and cold, and is a delicious and healthy way to add flavor to your dishes.
Next time you are looking for a new and interesting flavor combination, consider trying pesto.
You won’t be disappointed!