Are you looking for a delicious side to pair with your plantains? Whether it’s a savory meal or something sweet, this article has something for everyone! Here are our top ten favorite foods that go perfectly with plantains.
Table of Contents
What Food Groups Compliment Plantains?Plantains pair exceptionally well with a variety of cuisines and food groups. Here are some top-notch combinations to tantalize your taste buds:
• Grains: Rice is an obvious accompaniment, but also consider couscous, quinoa or barley.
• Legumes: Refried beans provide added protein and flavor. Other great options include lentils and chickpeas.
• Vegetables: Roasted vegetables like sweet potatoes, zucchini or Brussels sprouts make the perfect side dish for plantain dishes.
•Fruits: Avocado goes especially nicely with plantains as it provides creaminess and sweetness in one package! Mangoes and papayas are also great options for adding vibrant color to the plate—and delicious flavor too!
Examples of Food Pairings For Plantains1. Fried Plantains with Black Beans 2. Grilled Plantains with Avocado Salsa 3. Baked Sweet Plantains with Coconut Milk 4. Mashed Plantains Stuffed in Bell Peppers 5. Roasted Garlic and Herb-Rubbed Plantain Chips 6. Pan-Fried Green Plantains Topped With Cheese Sauce 7. Chipotle Honey Glazed Grilled Plantains 8. Spicy Baked Ripe Plantain Patties 9. Creamy Coconut Curry with Steamed Green Plantains 10. Sweet Banana Fritters with Caramelized Ripe Plantain Bits
What Wine Goes Well With Plantains?If you’re looking for the perfect accompaniment to plantains, a nice glass of wine is just what you need. Whether it’s white or red, there are plenty of options that pair well with this delicious dish. A light and fruity Sauvignon Blanc provides a crisp contrast to the sweetness of the plantains while medium-bodied Chardonnay will bring out their flavors even more. For those who prefer reds, consider trying something like Merlot which has notes of blackberry and licorice that balance nicely with the savory qualities in plantains. No matter your preference, make sure to find yourself a bottle that complements your meal!
What Herbs and Spices Should You Use With Plantains?Plantains are such a versatile ingredient, perfect for adding flavour to any dish. Adding herbs and spices can take your plantain recipes from average to exceptional! Here’s some ideas you might like to try:
- Cinnamon: For sweet dishes, cinnamon adds warmth and depth.
- Chilli Powder: Sprinkle chilli powder onto plantains for a spicy kick.
- Garlic Powder: Garlic powder works especially well with fried plantains.
- Paprika: Paprika gives an earthy aroma that complements the sweetness of the plantains perfectly.
Should You Add More Plantains To Your Diet?
Adding plantains to your diet can be a great way to give your body the nutrients it needs. Plantains provide a range of essential vitamins and minerals, including:
- Vitamin A, which is important for vision, reproduction, growth and development.
- Vitamin C, which keeps the immune system healthy and helps protect against disease.
- Folate, which helps with DNA synthesis and cell division.